Deco 200x628 01
Logo3 small

There are as many ways to amaze with your decoration as there are people willing to charge you for it—and you could pay the exorbitant fees demanded by established names to render your home a carbon-copy project; or you could explore art collectives, walk the leading edge of design yourself, and make your home your own with some of these beautifully futuristic designs.

Put on some chill beats and pour yourself a cold drink while you do it too because this will be a consciousness-expanding ride. Photo by Lucas Benjamin on Unsplash.

Tiles to Trip On

If you’re looking for tiles to astound, tiles that no one else in your circles may have even discovered, something to enthral dinner guests with, then check these out.

Don’t stare too long, you might forget your name. Image: Core Deco

Underneath, these are fairly standard, run-of-the-mill, glazed ceramic tiles. On top, they are coated with three different flavours of two-part epoxy paint and screen-printed with what must have been the fever dreams of M.C. Escher. With the asymmetry of the designs, the combinations in which these tiles can be laid are infinite. Just watch some of the possible arrangements move in time with the beat in this video.

DIY note: working with epoxy paint and screen-printing ceramic tiles are both easy enough to do at home. The stencil design is the key.

Floating Cloud Lamp Speakers

Fill your home with light and sound spilling out from floating clouds.

That’s not photoshopped, by the way. Image: Crealev

That is an interactive fluffy pillow that puts out light and sound, and also it floats. So what happened was these Brooklyn designers made an interactive lampshade and speaker that they would hang from ceilings. But then they came across Crealev, a mechatronics engineer and his designer daughter, who were already making lamps float. And thus, the floating cloud lamp speaker was born.

DIY note: this is likely difficult to DIY without some mad scientist level of genius, but with Crealev’s biggest levitating module (the Octo88) you can float any object weighing 10kg up to about 3cm in the air.

Paint Your Home with Light

Turn your home into a canvas for digital art with a projector.

In an earlier time, throwing projected imagery onto architecture was a thing to do for graffiti artists seeking to elevate their craft beyond aerosols in alleyways. But then some of these folks (who were probably building flight simulators or soldering Arduino boards in their spare time) got together and formed a multimedia studio that can map nearly any surface and turn it into a hair-raising display that would put Lady Gaga and the Cirque du Soleil to shame.

DIY note: you won’t get Mr. Beam’s level of interactivity or mind-bending visuals without an art collective at your disposal, but with a stencil, a light source, plus some trial-and-error, you could do pretty much do the same as Pablo Valbuena.

Folding Doors That Make You Go “Whoa”

Everybody else’s doors are boring now.

At some point in Klemens Torggler’s life, he looked at a door and wondered why it had to open the way it did. So, as one does, he went ahead and made it open like futuristic origami. Over-engineering only becomes a problem when something doesn’t work and that door works alright. It doesn’t save floor space as much as it turns a doorway into an art piece—and it doesn’t merely reveal an access as much as it blows the mind.

DIY note: building this yourself would not be recommended unless you can visualise anything beyond three physical dimensions.

Psychedelic Tree Rings on Everything

Turn any object into a work of hydro-dipped marbling art.

While the rest of us were pining over Nordic pine, a Danish craftswoman by the name of Pernille Snedker Hansen looked at the ubiquitous wood and decided it needed to be spruced up (forgive us). She co-opted a common technique of putting paint on the surface of a water bath and dipping things into it to enhance and colourise the natural rings and grains in wood flooring.

DIY note: drip oil-based or acrylic paint into a pan of water thickened with cellulose or cornstarch; let it spread out as Hansen does, or go the Turkish route and pattern it Ebru-style; lay an absorbent sheet of paper on, or dip an unglazed object into it; and voilà! You will then have your own marbled works to put on display.

Got some mind-bending designs to share? Don’t be shy. Let us know here.

(Written by Kevin Eichenberger, 26th March 2020)

SHARE THIS TOPIC

Attachment small

Interesting videos and colourful photos. 

I  f39c12 small

Hello. Thanks for sharing these ideas. I’m happy I’ve found this page because we’re building our new house, so we could apply these ideas. Thanks a lot! We’re camping with my husband this weekend, so I’ll show him these ideas. Hope he will like them. Actually, it often takes me much time to convince him, but he always agrees when he sees I really want something. The same situation occurred when I chose this flashlight  https://www.amazon.com/Vont-Flashlight-Flashlights-Water-Resistant-Accessories/dp/B089T8HDBV . Actually, my husband didn’t expect it to turn out to be a really good flashlight. So, that’s life. Thanks again! <!--td {border: 1px solid #cccccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->